Storing your bitcoin on a Hardware wallet is the most secure and you own the private keys and you are the bank.
It is very imperative to take responsibility to securing your private keys if you use a hardware wallet. The hardware wallet is like having your own bank this is best and safest way. when purchasing a hardware wallet make sure the package was not tapered with. People have bought hardware wallets and there bitcoin goes missing. If the box was resealed someone might have taken your 24 recover word to your wallet in essence stealing your bitcoin from there wallet.
The two companys I trust as a hardware ware wallet is ledger nano and Trezor wallets .
Storing your bitcoin on a exchange least secure and the exchange owns the private keys
If your not technical and still learning leave your money on the exchange like coinbase in cold storage till you understanding and have the technical knowledge. If the exchange ever gets hacked your bitcoin may be a risk because they have the private keys, also the exchange can freeze your money because they own the private keys. Just remember when money is left on the exchange you do not own the private keys Coinbase does. So if bitcoin forks coinbase will decide if you get the new coin or they keep it.
Six Ways To Protect Your Bitcoin Investments From Hackers
1.) Use a unique email address no one has seen or used it.
2) Make a very long and hard password that is written on paper not saved on a computer.
3) Contact cell carrier and put ever level of security you possible can.
4) Have cell carrier put a do not port sim card to your cell phone must be renewed every year.
5) Do not use text message two-factor authenticator. – Use Google authenticator or ubkey.
6) If you have to store your currency on a exchange like Coinbase use cold storage and spread them out on multiple exchange like Binance. This is a Chinese exchange that is working on being a decentralized exchange as well.
WARNING: All porn sites install key logger software on your computer if you have been to a porn site your computer or phone has been compromised. Back you your data and erase and reinstall your O/S.
If your worried about spyware or key loggers on your computer or phone buy a chrome book and power wash it before every use your data will be stored on google cloud.