Storing your bitcoin on a Hardware wallet is the most secure and you own the private keys and you are the bank.
It is very imperative to take responsibility to securing your private keys if you use a hardware wallet. The hardware wallet is like having your own bank this is best and safest way. when purchasing a hardware wallet make sure the package was not tapered with. People have bought hardware wallets and there bitcoin goes missing. If the box was resealed someone might have taken your 24 recover word to your wallet in essence stealing your bitcoin from there wallet.
The two companys I trust as a hardware ware wallet is ledger nano and Trezor wallets .
Storing your bitcoin on a exchange least secure and the exchange owns the private keys
If your not technical and still learning leave your money on the exchange like coinbase in cold storage till you understanding and have the technical knowledge. If the exchange ever gets hacked your bitcoin may be a risk because they have the private keys, also the exchange can freeze your money because they own the private keys. Just remember when money is left on the exchange you do not own the private keys Coinbase does. So if bitcoin forks coinbase will decide if you get the new coin or they keep it.
Six Ways To Protect Your Bitcoin Investments From Hackers
1.) Use a unique email address no one has seen or used it.
2) Make a very long and hard password that is written on paper not saved on a computer.
3) Contact cell carrier and put ever level of security you possible can.
4) Have cell carrier put a do not port sim card to your cell phone must be renewed every year.
5) Do not use text message two-factor authenticator. – Use Google authenticator or ubkey.
6) If you have to store your currency on a exchange like Coinbase use cold storage and spread them out on multiple exchange like Binance. This is a Chinese exchange that is working on being a decentralized exchange as well.
WARNING: All porn sites install key logger software on your computer if you have been to a porn site your computer or phone has been compromised. Back you your data and erase and reinstall your O/S.
An additional way to secure your Bitcoin
Security is priority number one with bitcoin or any Cryptocurrency.
1)Storing your Cryptocurrency on multiple Hardware wallets.
If you use an exchange store only crypto that you are trading or selling. Spread them out over multiple exchanges just in case you get hacked and turn on all security settings and use a chrome book and for long-term holds store your crypto on hardware wallets.
2)Use a unique email address no one has seen or used before.
3)Always use 2-Step Verification on everything if possible (Do not use text message verification)
4)Use a VPN software especially in public wifi everyone is spying.
5) Use a TOR browser for privacy
6)Have a cheap chrome book only for crypto that you can be wiped after every use because of spyware.
7)Porn sites install viruses and spyware automatically on your computer and cell phones are spying devices be careful. Also clicking on links in a text message from someone you don’t know could install a virus on your phone.
8) Use Last pass to store your passwords and Google hardware key the Titan Security key
9) Contact your cell phone company have them put a do not port for your number and renew it every year and turn on all security settings with your cell carrier.
10)Life lock is amazing it scans the internet and the Dark web for your information and gives you warnings.
If your worried about spyware or key loggers on your computer or phone buy a chrome book and power wash it before every use your data will be stored on google cloud.